If you are a homeowner, one of the most important decisions you will make is choosing the color of your home. Some of you live under homeowners’ association rules which dictate what colors you can choose (so sad). If you are fortunate to have freedom of choice, getting your home painted can be an adventure in creativity and expression.
Let’s face it, though – few of us have the time and/or the inclination to paint our homes by ourselves. If you want to make that change, you will need to hire exterior home painting professionals.
Before you do, you must make sure you are hiring the professionals that your home deserves. What should you look for?
- In California, it is illegal for unlicensed painters to perform work which costs more than $500 in labor and materials. Check if the contractor is licensed by the California Contractors State License Board. Make sure the name attached to the license number is the same as that of the contractor.
- Insurance and worker’s compensation. Exterior home painting can be a hazardous job, especially when a house has two stories or more. Having sufficient insurance and worker’s compensation are good signs that a painting contractor is in it for the long haul. Without those protections, you could be liable if a painter is injured on your property.
- What kind of references do they have? Check the contractor’s website. Ask neighbors and friends whose exterior house painting looks good to you. One good sign (literally) is when customers advertise the contractor in front of their homes.
- Ask the contractor about its estimating process. A good one should not just ask the customer, or just look at the house. It takes accurate measuring.
- How much of a deposit is the contractor requesting? In California, it is illegal to ask for more than 10% or $500 (whichever is lesser) up front.
- Will the contractor agree to a written contract detailing the duration of the job, the kinds of materials used, the brands and colors of the paint, how plants and patios will be protected, cleanup requirements, payments, etc.? A contract is one of your best protections.
Now are you ready to hire an exterior painting contractor? Stop at JobQuotes.com first! JobQuotes is the place to find the people who will help make your house more beautiful. We have listings, contact information, and ratings for house painters and nearly every other kind of contractor. The time is now – go to JobQuotes.com today!